Cleaning your teeth thoroughly becomes more important than ever when you have braces. But while you’ll have to take extra care, brushing your teeth with braces is quite easy… it just requires a little patience!
To start, brush your teeth the same way you did without braces. Here’s a refresher for how to brush with proper technique:
- Rinse your toothbrush and apply your toothpaste.
- Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums, and then to the tops and bottoms of your braces.
- Move the brush in short, gentle, circular strokes over your teeth and braces. Be sure to brush the fronts, backs and chewing surfaces of all your teeth.
- Brush your teeth for at least two minutes: 30 seconds per “quadrant”.
- Remember to brush your tongue to remove bacteria and keep your breath fresh.
The next step is to use an interdental brush (you can get one from the orthodontist or your local pharmacy) to brush between the archwires of your braces and your teeth. Interdental brushes are shaped like tiny bottle brushes, to access these hard to reach areas.
The video below offers a helpful demonstration of brushing with braces, and using an interdental brush.